Sunday, October 31, 2010

Homemade laundry and dishwasher detergent!

I got so excited the other day while looking for recipes for homemade laundry and dishwasher detergent. We're trying to get closer to being self-sufficient, to use environmentally safe cleaning products, to use products that are non-toxic, and to save money. Unfortunately, the Eco-cleaners in the grocery stores can be pretty pricey. So making your own is the way to go! And it's super super cheap!!!



Here's my favorite laundry soap recipe:



- 3 bars of soap grated as finely as you can (I use pure glycerin soap from the Guelph soap company - it's like a buck a bar)

- 2 cups of borax (a natural compound found in the cleaning section)

- 2 cups of washing soda (in the laundry section)



You mix it together and voila! Then you only need 1/4 cup for each load. I also add 1/4 cup of white vinegar into the fabric softer area. Clothes are clean! (And don't smell like vinegar!)

The best thing is that it's safe for high efficiency washers because it's non-sudsy!



I had a hard time finding a homemade dishwasher detergent because they all contain borax. Borax is natural but can be toxic if eaten in large quantities, so I feel more comfortable not using it for dishes. I found a recipe but ended up making my own to avoid soap scum. Here it is:



- 1 cup water

- 1/2 cup liquid vegetable glycerin

- 1/2 vinegar

- 20 drops of lemon essential oil



- you need to shake before each use since the oil settles on top.



OK!! I hope this is helpful! Kerri

No comments:

Post a Comment